Helping parents become better feeders,
so they raise great eaters!

by Your Child Nutrition Expert Jill Castle

“Weight Watchers:” How NOT to Manage Your Child’s Weight

April 3, 2012 | In: Child Nutrition, Eating Disorders, Feeding, Parenting, Weight Management

Last week an article entitled “Weight Watchers” in Vogue written by Dara Lynn Weiss described how she successfully managed her 7 year-old daughter’s weight problem by putting her on a diet. Dara-Lynn Weiss—aka the Tiger Feeder—now has a book deal (with the title rumored to be “The Heavy”).

Weiss’s Tiger Feeding approach used restriction, control, shame, blame and punishment. And it seems to have worked—at least on the outside. Her daughter Bea lost weight, though I expect she may have lost some other things as well: self-confidence, self-esteem, an ability to self-regulate her own eating, a healthy body image, and what might have been a positive relationship with her mom, food and eating.

What I know:

The body of research on restrictive feeding shows that this approach backfires, and is often associated with weight gain in the long run and negative eating patterns such as hiding, sneaking, hoarding and eating in the absence of hunger (eating for reasons other than hunger).

Cutting calories also means slashing nutrients—something that can have a negative impact on overall health status and growth. In today’s child nutrition climate, cutting important and already deficient nutrients will be detrimental.

Diets don’t work. But they do a pretty good job of increasing the risk for an eating disorder! The body of evidence here is clear—children and teens who diet are at an increased risk for the development of disordered eating or an eating disorder.

Nutrition knowledge is at an all time low. This is just one more point of proof. Many parents know little about what to feed their kids, how to feed them, as well as manage the outside pressures to help their children navigate the world and it’s (often extreme) nutrition and weight beliefs. And, when you don’t know (and perhaps are desperate), sometimes you will go to extreme measures. Maybe this is what happened with Dara-Lynn.

The parent-child relationship is ultimately what will pull many parents and their children through the rocky years of adolescence, the pressures of society and the child developmental stages that are sure to come. At the least, you want this relationship to be founded on love, mutual trust and communication.

When it comes to weight management in children, the research supports a gradual weight reduction (if needed) or a cessation of weight gain to allow normal growth and weight redistribution. This takes time and a lifestyle change–something that some parents find hard to do. Preserving normal growth and a healthy nutritional status is of utmost importance. Certainly, maintaining a healthy outlook on food, eating and one’s own body is critical too.

We love to point the finger at food. Many might say this little girl ate too much and didn’t move enough (the old “blame it on the food and exercise” excuse), but I bet there was more to the story. It’s too simplistic to blame it on an over-indulgence on party day or snacking. True, this is part of the picture, but the reality is weight gain comes from many factors—in this case, it might have had something to do with the feeding practices at home, her stage of child development and how she handled outside influences around food, as well as her own eating personality and temperament.

This is what bugs me:

As a whole, we don’t look at the whole child when we address weight problems—we focus on food or physical activity, resulting in a narrow view. In my experience the answer lies deeper. Weight reflects how children are fed, where they are in their developmental progress, and the world around them as much as it does food and activity. As I love to say, “It’s not about eating, it’s about feeding!”

Why I am grateful for Vogue and Dara-Lynn Weiss:

You have made it clear how NOT to manage children’s weight. And in doing so, you will leave parents looking for a more loving, holistic approach to feeding children. One that certainly covers food and nutrition, but dares to dive deeper. An approach that gives parents insight into how their daily feeding interactions (feeding style and practices) affect their child’s eating, for the better or worse. An approach that is also sensitive to child development, giving parents a “what to expect” view on raising healthy eaters in the 21st century.

You have primed parents for Fearless Feeding, and I thank you for that.

While you have elevated the fear around feeding children, and weight, I know this isn’t necessary. Why be afraid to feed children, when you can be confident and fearless? When you know what to feed kids, how to do it and why children behave they way they do around food and eating, life is so much easier…and feeding your child becomes a joy, not a fear-laden struggle.

If you are a parent looking for a positive way to feed your child, without shame, blame, punishment, food restriction, deprivation or control, then you need to visit our community, Fearless Feeding on Facebook, while our book is in the making.  You can expect to see Fearless Feeding on shelves in early 2013.

It will be the resource you’re looking for, and a guide to help you feed your child throughout his/her entire childhood in positive and productive ways, using an approach you can be proud of.

Should I forward a copy to Dara-Lynn and Vogue?

Share |

20 Responses to “Weight Watchers:” How NOT to Manage Your Child’s Weight

Maryann

April 3rd, 2012 at 8:17 am

Jessica Levinson

April 3rd, 2012 at 10:12 am

Great post Jill! As a fellow RD and one who works with adolescents and adults with eating disorders, i was very disturbed by the article in Vogue. Parents need better education on how to feed their children and you are a wonderful resource for them. As a new mom, despite being in the field myself, I can learn a lot from you about how to feed my daughters in the healthiest way – and by that I mean for their emotional health.

Ashley Rosales, RD

April 3rd, 2012 at 10:15 am

Thank you Jill for shedding light onto this important subject. Parents need to know the real dangers of following this “Tiger Feeder” approach. Children should be raised in a feeding environment that is positive, nurturing, non-restrictive and promotes intuitive eating where nutrient rich foods are center stage. This parenting feeding style is encouraged in the ‘Eat, Play, Love’ webinar, in which you share wonderful wisdom for parents: http://www.dairycouncilofca.org/HealthProfessionals/EducationCenter/Webinar/Eat_Play_Love_%20Raising_Healthy_Eaters.flv
I can’t wait to get my own copy of Fearless Feeding!

Sam

April 3rd, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Jill, these are excellent points and I fully agree. I appreciate the positive spin in terms of how we can use this to teach parents and families rather than focusing on what was done incorrectly. This story is disturbing to me on many levels and it’s been fascinating to follow the commentary.

I’m a fan of both you and Maryann and can’t wait for Fearless Feeding!!

Jill

April 4th, 2012 at 8:40 am

thanks for reading, Sam. Yes, I think it’s human nature to point out and get caught up in the negative, but that doesn’t move us forward!

Jill

April 4th, 2012 at 8:40 am

Ashley, thanks for mentioning the Eat, Play, Love webinar–a good resource for parents to check out!

Jill

April 4th, 2012 at 8:42 am

I am so happy to be of help! Your babies are adorable, by the way! :)
Yes, what i like about the term “feeding” is that it takes into account a broader perspective than just the word eating. for kids (and I assume adults too), there’s a lot behind the decisions we make with regard to our health and eating. The food focus is too narrow!

Rebecca Horsman

April 4th, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Great post, Jill! I just re-tweeted it. I like the way you write so non-judgmentally, with empathy for the parents. Parents like Dara-Lynn Weiss seem to want to do the best for their kids, but have no clue how so they make huge mistakes. We all need to start looking at the big picture and all the points you mentioned, not just calories and exercise.

Jill

April 5th, 2012 at 8:24 am

Thanks Rebecca!

Ashley Bade

April 5th, 2012 at 11:17 am

Thank you for this thoughtful post- as a pediatric dietitian working with a variety of children, this focus on fostering a healthy relationship with food is much appreciated!

Jill

April 6th, 2012 at 6:15 am

Thanks for reading Ashley!

Dianne

April 9th, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I can’t tell you enough how much I agree with what you said. How I wish that this information was available to my parents when I was a young girl. I was 10 when I developed a VERY unhealthy body image…and I was not an overweight little girl.

30+ years and a million diets later, I weighed my top weight of 381 lbs last December. I finally had enough and gave up sugar, fast food, and soda right in the middle of the holiday season. 3 1/2 months later, I’ve lost 33 pounds…12 inches…and 1 size. (follow my progress at http://www.hotmessprincess.com)

Healthy living, self esteem, and confidence are so vitally important to learn as children…thank you so much for helping parents realize how truly important this is!

Dianne

Jane Roper

April 10th, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Great post! (And thanks for stopping by my blog.) I was also horrified by the story in Vogue. The poor kid. Looking forward to your book.

Mick

April 12th, 2012 at 12:11 am

I loved this article, for various reasons I’ve struggled my whole life with weight gain and loss, pre-diabetic, etc, etc.

As a result my husband and I have always tried to maintain a healthy attitude when it comes to food with our children, telling children they are fat, shaming them, blaming them etc, etc, is horrific and I’m completely gob-smacked that Vogue would publish an article like that where children are going to be bullied into the perception of a correct image.

As you’ve already mentioned in your article the ramifications of what she’s done to her daughter are huge. :(

I have two daughters and a son, I hope that one day they will be normal, well-adjusted people, who know what to eat, why to eat, and be happy when eating.

GREAT ARTICLE. :)

“Thinspo” and Eating Disorders: What is the role of parents? by Just the Right Byte

April 18th, 2012 at 8:37 am

[...] “thinspo,” and extreme measures to control children’s weight (which I talk about here), I am resurrecting this post from the archives with some updates. You’ll find more on this [...]

Katie

April 23rd, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Thanks for addressing that article, Jill. As you say, we can use it as a learning tool for what NOT to do. Also key is how we as moms deal with food. I know of few women who haven’t dabbled in dieting or struggled here and there with weight. But we need to demonstrate healthy habits and be good role models, something I know you’ve written about and I posted about last week http://www.momskitchenhandbook.com/for-mommys-only/four-habits-for-a-healthy-weight/

Why Feeding Kids is One of the Hardest Jobs of Parenthood by Just the Right Byte

December 18th, 2012 at 12:23 pm

[...] accurate, some not. You can find celebrities and their quick weight loss diets, moms who put their daughters on a diet, and stories of what worked for other families seeking an action plan for helping their child lose [...]

the diet solution

February 19th, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Thanks very nice blog!

Update: Chocolate Milk & The Biggest Loser by Just the Right Byte

March 5th, 2013 at 8:36 am

[...] my own concerns about including kids and teens who struggle with weight on national TV (or in any public forum), I was relieved to know that I am not alone. Yoni Freedhoff sounds off on the topic of eating [...]

Vogue and I Are Never, Ever, Ever, Getting Back Together by Just the Right Byte

August 23rd, 2013 at 9:02 am

[...] Dara Lynn-Weiss, the mom who put her young daughter on a diet, to publish her story? I was moved to write about my concerns and share my opinion. As a mom and childhood nutrition expert, Ms. Weiss made me very uncomfortable [...]

Comment Form

Latest comments

Get the Book!

Fearless Feeding - How to Raise Healthy Eaters from High Chair to High School

Jill Castle’s Networks

I'm Blogging About Healthy Habits

Join Our Network

Include this badge on your website or blog!

Find out how...

Twitter:

Bad Behavior has blocked 1175 access attempts in the last 7 days.