Helping parents become better feeders,
so they raise great eaters!

by Your Child Nutrition Expert Jill Castle

The kitchen is closed.

June 17, 2010 | In: Child Nutrition, Feeding Kids

Often, in my sessions with parents and their children, I use phrases to help support healthy changes around feeding and eating.  One of the phrases that has been particularly handy for parents is,

The Kitchen is Closed.

Is your kitchen always open, always a mess, always in production?  Ever wonder if this is healthy?  Sustainable?  Or the makings for a crazy momma-lady and an out of control eater?

While some parents may believe that closing the kitchen is a cruel act toward children, I find it to be a healthy way to set limits.

The kitchen is closed:

• allows for space between meals and snacks
  • encourages predictability with timing of meals and snacks
  • supports the foundation of structure and rhythm for daily meals and snacks
  • promotes food security in children, through knowledge that food will be available at predictable times

If the kitchen is always open:

• No limits are set around food and eating
  • It’s “food for everyone, all of the time”
  • Regular and rhythmic eating may change to impulsive and less intuitive eating
  • Overeating becomes a strong possibility

The kitchen is closed is particularly useful when you have done a good job at providing meals and snacks to children in timely intervals.  Make sure you have regular times when “the kitchen is open…for breakfast, for snack, for lunch, etc”.  Then, when your child comes to you an hour after eating dinner, wanting something else to eat, the kitchen is closed is a clear boundary. If this is initially upsetting to your child,  assure him/her that another meal or snack will be available soon.  Encourage your child to eat at meals and snacks, when the kitchen is open.  Soon, your child will learn to eat at meal and snack times, learn to do other things in between, and feel secure that his/her hunger and nutrient needs will be met regularly.

Share |

10 Responses to The kitchen is closed.

Sarah

June 17th, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Great article! My mum always used this logic when we were kids and it worked well. It certainly helps with setting limits for children and encouraging them to eat at meal times, whilst keeping them hungry enough to eat their dinner.

How to Simplify Feeding at Home

June 17th, 2010 at 10:48 pm

[...] friend and colleague, Jill Castle, wrote a nice post on the benefits of declaring the Kitchen Closed. A great idea that I plan to [...]

jillcastle

June 18th, 2010 at 6:06 am

So true, Sarah! I use this phrase frequently with my own 4 children; I only have to say it once and they know exactly what I mean. They also know that I follow through with meals and snacks on time too.

Sarah

June 23rd, 2010 at 1:33 am

We were exactly the same! There was no point in asking for food once the kitchen was closed because we never got it.
Will be using this once my boy is older.

Kathy

June 26th, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Hello,
A quick question after reading your blog – how do you reconcile the Satter approach to letting children eat as much of a portion as they want with portion control? This is difficult to navigate, do you have suggestions on how to serve and encourage appropriate portions without making a child feel limited. She also suggests lots of bread and butter . .. . I guess I’m having a tough time with parts of her approach and instilling good habits. She also seems to down play the negative emotional consequences of a child being overweight. I’m very interested in her approach as I have a child who, while she is not overweigh, LOVES to eat and sometimes seems obsessed with food and I’m simultaneously concerned about making the obsession worse and contributing to a potential overeating/weight problem, and offering my child support that is in her best interest even if this may seem hard and limiting at times.
Thank you, any information you can provide would be helpful and appreciated.

jillcastle

June 27th, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Hi Kathy, Thanks for your question–it is a good one, and one that i get asked fairly frequently. First, “portion control” is a term I use lightly with children–in fact, I prefer “portion awareness”, because, when parents and/or children try to control their portions, they may override their own hunger and fullness, and end up feeling deprived and eating more. Satter’s approach merely encourages parents to provide a balanced meal (ie, most food groups), and allows the child to choose what and how much to eat…and over time the child will gravitate to balanced intake, experimenting with new foods, and eat amounts that reflect their hunger, food preferences, and appetite. Bread and butter can be part of the meal, but it doesn’t have to make an appearance every night. There are other starchy grains that can rotate through your weekly menu. You can teach portion awareness by preparing foods in reasonable portions, ie, prepare 3-6 oz. portions of meat, place them on a platter, and serve. Your child will likely take one, but there will be more if hungry. Some foods don’t portion well like this, and you will have to trust the child to take what is right for him/her. Mealtime is an opportunity to talk about hunger and fullness, and this can help your child tune into this feeling and learn how to make decisions about more to eat or not. This is a process that pays off over time. Teaching and trusting your child to self-regulate is a gift–many adults do not self-regulate–they rely on external cues, such as time on the clock, food rules, diets, and the scale to regulate their eating. No fun! Cultivating those internal cues in your child is an act of trust and faith; provide a variety of food, keep the environment positive, and encourage your child to tune into their body’s needs.

nutritioulicious

July 23rd, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Great post! It took my mother a long time to learn these words!!

jillcastle

August 6th, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I use them myself, and they certainly help me regulate our eating patterns.

5 Boundaries that Make Feeding Children Easier  by Just the Right Byte

November 7th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

[...] The Kitchen is Closed. I wrote about this earlier here. Closing the kitchen helps children eat at the designated time–meals and snacks. This can [...]

13 Easy Family Nutrition Tips for 2013 by Just the Right Byte

January 2nd, 2013 at 6:22 pm

[...] the kitchen down. Even kitchens need to sit clean and unused periodically throughout the day! Close the kitchen between meals and snacks. Say, “The kitchen is closed right now,” to set a boundary around [...]

Comment Form

Get the Book!

Fearless Feeding - How to Raise Healthy Eaters from High Chair to High School

Jill Castle’s Networks

I'm Blogging About Healthy Habits

Join Our Network

Include this badge on your website or blog!

Find out how...

Twitter:

Bad Behavior has blocked 1179 access attempts in the last 7 days.